Saturday, 28 July 2012

So I made it into a card....


Despite my misgivings about the quality of this print, I've been told off by friends for being too critical! So I've decided to make it into a card and post it on both Etsy and Folksy (there are 15 so I've split them between both sites) just to see what other people make of them. If you fancy a punt, they're 6" x 4" and available here:
(For the uninitiated - Folksy's in £ and Etsy's in $)

Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Seagales




Breeze blows, catches wings
and tosses them higher,
flings them heavenwards
then lets them fall, tumbling
acrobats swinging under cloud.
Exhale again and they're caught
mid-beat, breath caught
as earth falls away,
and fight to regain balance,
harmony, passing through rays,
split then shaded, blinded again,
rowing for the shore - tidal wind
bringing it nearer, further,
but ever nearer. Soon, soon
a landing stage, strive and steer,
bend the air to speed the goal.
The gale inhales and draws away,
hesitates,
then rushes in with the wave
carrying all before it
and dragging the wings behind,
the rush to keep up, the goal there,
and grab the rail with feet outstretched.
Feathers ruffle as the gale breathes in,
but solidly rooted, stand firm

Mary Parker, May 2012

Friday, 20 July 2012

Final stage - leaves.



And what should be the final stage. I'm really not sure how I feel about this now. Viewed small, as a thumbnail, it looks acceptable, maybe even interesting, but close up the leaf green hasn't taken properly, and the composition isn't quite sitting right.... For the time being, I'm writing these off as experience. After all, I haven't done a four-colour reduction lino print for about 20 years, and it's all part of the re-learning process. Looking at wonderful prints by people who do this for a living, mine definitely feel under-dressed! Tiny baby steps....

Sunday, 15 July 2012

And the third stage...


A little darker than I meant it to be, but at least the shape of the petals is now visible. Last stage will be a lighter shade of green for the leaves.

Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Dogrose Linocut Second Stage


Well I've started on the pink, the yellow certainly shows through! I've overprinted a couple of the worst offenders but this one I think will be ok. Looking dull still at present but hopefully it'll liven up a bit when the leaves start to go on and the shape of the petals becomes apparent. Forgot to mention that I'm using the back of a wooden spoon to 'roll' the ink off the block onto the paper - inspired by a lady on Etsy who makes some lovely prints that way:

Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Dogrose linocut first stage


Right - first colour (I've printed 16 of these). It looks very much like a carnation to me...Be reassured by the lino on the left as you can see the plan. All of this yellow is in aid of getting the stamens printed, but I'm hoping too that it will have the side-effect of warming all of the other colours as they go over the top. Originally I was going to print the pink first but I decided to go with the stamens first so as not to have registration problems with them, and also to achieve a clearer colour. Next stage will be to remove the stamens and print the pink for the petals, but I'm going to leave it a while to dry (probably several days), as, despite it being water-based ink, the last time I tried a multicolour reduction print, the second colour lifted the first off, even after a couple of days hung over the radiator. So the next colour will be the make-or-break of whether this is going to work. I'm expecting a few casualties along the way, but I hope I come out with at least four decent prints at the end of this!